Uganda: several died and went blind after drinking toxic gin

Uganda: several died and went blind after drinking toxic gin

A toxic gin concoction killed 14 people in north-western Uganda and left others blind, Daily Monitor newspaper reported citing a medical source.

All the victims are believed to have consumed a locally manufactured spirit called City 5 Pineapple Flavoured Gin over the weekend in Madi-Okollo district.

“These people have now lost their sight, some of them partially, while others are completely blind. Partially means they can still have a degree of vision but not what they used to have,” said Dr Onesmus Misoa from the Arua Referral Hospital.

Police have arrested four people over the incident while the owner of a gin manufacturing plant is on the run.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.