At least five people have died and forty others are in intensive care in Oyibi in the Greater Accra region of Ghana after consuming bean rice commonly known as waakye.
The tragic incident occurred on Friday, January 20, 2023, leaving residents of the area in shock and fear at the same time.
The waakye seller and some of her family members who ate the food too were hospitalized after having severe stomach aches.
It remains unclear what led to the poisoning.
Dr Esther Danquah of Kpone Katamanso District Hospital confirmed the incident to the Daily Graphic, adding that further investigation was underway to unravel more details.