A father is being investigated in South Africa for the deaths of three of his sons after consuming an energy drink he allegedly gave them, local media reported.
Two of the siblings died at school and the third died on the way to hospital.
A fourth child who consumed the drink is said to be in a critical condition at a local hospital. A fifth brother did not consume the energy drink and is fine, reports said.
“We have a case of murder that has been opened with three counts and a case of attempted murder,” police spokesperson Brig Brenda Muridili said.
The father is reportedly under guard in hospital after allegedly trying to poison himself.
In a statement, the education department in Gauteng province expressed sadness over the deaths of the three siblings at Ratanda Primary and Khanya Lesedi Secondary Schools.